[kwlug-disc] Upcoming meeting scheduling

B. S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Thu Apr 23 20:08:14 EDT 2015

Despite past attempts, Linux newbie'ism seems ... non-present.

And it has been found that the student communities per academic institution have their own local paths. e.g. UoW Computer Science Club (CSC) will have its own events, local distros / support, etc. (Don't know about the others, but given the courses on the topics at Conestoga, I can't imagine them not having the equivalent. Even if MS has bought up all that business.)

Not saying it's not worthwhile, nor not to do it, merely that it hasn't taken off in the past. If anyone knows now is different, or suspects so ... speak up.

Or perhaps kwlug is merely not the newbie vehicle, but it seems to me that all the newbie computer user groups have folded. And expressed suggestions of sister kwlug groups more newbie centric being formed never went anywhere for lack of audience.

Was talking to the Waterloo Library computer trainer / presenter person not long ago (was speaking with her surrounding ebooks and calibre [being one's home card catalogue equivalent), and she made an interesting observation:

- young 'uns get what they need from their local crowd and don't come in (for help).

- (much) older ones need help getting the computer up, google, and e-mail (grandkids), and possibly facebook / photo sites [presumably as directed by offsprings telling them what to do / where to go to see their postings {of grandkids}].

- nobody else (in between, age wise) comes in / cares. (For help / presentations / training, at least.)

>From recent googling I've been doing, it seems the vast majority get something and it works intuitively enough (to them / their level), or it goes back, or they don't do it, or they buy Apple. And live with whatever limitations on capability or their knowledge that they get.

[See John MythTV -> AppleTV.]

Cause they all have too many other things to do.