[kwlug-disc] Technology big box stores

Charles M chaslinux at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 04:39:40 EDT 2015

This weekend we had issues with our ADSL. I decided to buy a spare "new"
modem so I could be 100 percent sure the issue wasn't the modem (turned out
to be broken Bell equipment outside).

Walmart was closest, but they didn't have a modem. I checked Bestbuy next,
"nope, go to Canada Computers." Oops, 7:10' Canada Computers is closed.
Moved on to Future Shop, no ADSL modem there either. Finally I bought one
at Computer XS, but not before more than an hour of running around. Turns
out the one I bought is an updated version (same model, different look) of
the one I already have. Sadly it doesn't fit the same mounting screw setup
I have. It wasn't a terrible price either, under $40.

On Sunday, April 19, 2015, B.S. <bs27975 at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> The app has been more useful than just this / we think.
>
> e.g. Last time I looked it was also being used for book inventorying to go
> up to telico / librarything type stuff. Perhaps even calibre, fbreader, and
> media / song lyrics. I've lost track!
>
> Seems to me I've also come across isbn (?) indice web sites - the scan
> lookup winging to there and based on the search results out to other useful
> places / links.
>

> Also ... google goggles app. Take a picture ... interesting things result.
> (When I remember the app is even there.)
>

> On 04/12/2015 01:50 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
>
>> That is how I use it too.
>>
>> On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 1:49 PM, Keefer Rourke <keefer.rourke at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  +1 for Barcode Scanner, it's the only decent FLOSS-y scanner in the
>>> Android market. I've never used it for grabbing prices on items in
>>> stores,
>>> but it does decode those handy QR codes that seem to be everywhere these
>>> days.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Keefer
>>> On Apr 12, 2015 1:42 PM, "Khalid Baheyeldin" <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>  Barcode Scanner

Charles McColm, Author: Instant XBMC,
Columnist: Full Circle Magazine,
Project Manager: The Working Centre Computer Recycling Project
Web: http://www.theworkingcentre.org/cr/
Blog: http://www.charlesmccolm.com/
Twitter/Identica/Google+: @chaslinux