[kwlug-disc] Canadian Distros?

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 16:48:34 EDT 2015

According to DistroWatch, these are Canadian:

*1. elementary OS <http://distrowatch.com/elementary> (8)*
elementary OS is an Ubuntu-based desktop distribution. Some of its more
interesting features include a new GTK+ and icon theme for GNOME, the
Midori web browser, new applications developed in-house (e.g. Dexter, an
address book and Postler, an email client), and Nautilus Elementary, a
simple file manager.

*2. Arch Linux <http://distrowatch.com/arch> (9)*
Arch Linux is an independently developed, i686- and x86_64-optimised Linux
distribution targeted at competent Linux users. It uses 'pacman', its
home-grown package manager, to provide updates to the latest software
applications with full dependency tracking. Operating on a rolling release
system, Arch can be installed from a CD image or via an FTP server. The
default install provides a solid base that enables users to create a custom
installation. In addition, the Arch Build System (ABS) provides a way to
easily build new packages, modify the configuration of stock packages, and
share these packages with other users via the Arch Linux user repository.

*3. ArchBang Linux <http://distrowatch.com/archbang> (59)*
ArchBang Linux is a lightweight distribution based on Arch Linux. Using the
Openbox window manager, it is fast, up-to-date and suitable for both
desktop and portable systems.

*4. GhostBSD <http://distrowatch.com/ghostbsd> (81)*
GhostBSD is a user-friendly desktop operating system based on FreeBSD. The
project's goal is to create an easy-to-use and familiar workspace that can
be used at home or office and for data rescue. GhostBSD supports a number
of popular lightweight desktop environments, including MATE, Xfce, LXDE and
Openbox. It also provides FreeBSD's package management system, Apache's
OpenOffice.org, LibreOffice, LibreCAD, and Eclipse/Anjuta development
environments for C, C++, Java, JavaScript, Jala and Python.

*5. VectorLinux <http://distrowatch.com/vector> (82)*
VectorLinux is a small, fast, Intel based Linux operating system for PC
style computers. The creators of VectorLinux had a single credo: keep it
simple, keep it small and let the end user decide what their operating
system is going to be. What has evolved from this concept is perhaps the
best little Linux operating system available anywhere. For the casual
computer user there is a lightening-fast desktop with graphical programs to
handle daily activities from web surfing, sending and receiving email,
chatting on IRC to running an FTP server. The power user will be pleased
because all the tools are there to compile programs, use the system as a
server or perhaps the gateway for home or office computer network.
Administrators will be equally pleased because of the small size and memory
requirements, so the operating system can be deployed on older machines
that have long been forgotten.

*6. AV Linux <http://distrowatch.com/avlinux> (83)*
AV Linux is a versatile, Debian-based distribution featuring a large
collection of audio and video production software. Additionally, it also
includes a custom kernel with IRQ threading enabled for low-latency audio
performance. AV Linux can be run directly from a live DVD or a live USB
storage device, though it can also be installed on a hard disk and used as
a general-purpose operating system for everyday tasks.

*7. OpenBSD <http://distrowatch.com/openbsd> (86)*
The OpenBSD project produces a free, multi-platform BSD 4.4-based UNIX-like
operating system. Its efforts emphasize portability, standardisation,
correctness, proactive security and integrated cryptography. The project
also develops the widely-used and popular OpenSSH (OpenBSD Secure Shell)
software, which provides encrypted communication sessions over a computer
network using the SSH protocol.

*8. Linux From Scratch <http://distrowatch.com/lfs> (139)*
Linux From Scratch (LFS) is a project that provides you with the steps
necessary to build your own custom Linux system. There are a lot of reasons
why somebody would want to install an LFS system. The question most people
raise is "why go through all the hassle of manually installing a Linux
system from scratch when you can just download an existing distribution
like Debian or Redhat". That is a valid question which I hope to answer for
you. The most important reason for LFS's existence is teaching people how a
Linux system works internally. Building an LFS system teaches you about all
that makes Linux tick, how things work together, and depend on each other.
And most importantly, how to customize it to your own taste and needs.

*9. Pidora <http://distrowatch.com/pidora> (241)*
Pidora is a Linux software distribution for the Raspberry Pi computer. It
contains software packages from the Fedora project compiled for the ARMv6
architecture used on the Raspberry Pi, packages which have been
specifically written for or modified for the Raspberry Pi, and software
provided by the Raspberry Pi Foundation for device access.