[kwlug-disc] Tablet shopping

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Mon Sep 29 10:47:41 EDT 2014

On Mon, Sep 29, 2014 at 9:31 AM, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:

> I find that Sony's user interface to be fast. On older models the
> TimeScape UI was annoying, and installing a third party launcer solves this
> (ADW Launcher worked well for me).

As far as vendor firmware goes, sony's was the least intrusive. I could
have lived with it, honestly, except I chose that device specifically
because it was well supported by Cyanogenmod and had LTE. I ended up
trading it for a Nexus 4 (and lost LTE).

> I did consider the Xperia Tablet Z, but could never justify the price
>>> ($599 plus taxes for 32GB model when it came out ~ 1.5 years ago). Now, it
>>> is not even at Futureshop or BestBuy for some odd reason, and on Amazon.ca,
>>> it starts at over $750 ...
>>>

>> I paid much, much less for it at Best Buy than that. Must have been
>> toward the end of the product cycle.
>>

> Hmmm. If they obsoleted it, then they did not announce a replacement
> tablet yet. Odd .. Also odder is the higher than MSRP price on amazon.ca
> for it ...

They released a Tablet Z2 a few months ago, and have announced a Z3 compact
(though no Z3 full-size yet). To be honest, it's all spec-chasing at this
point. I don't see any reason to upgrade from the Z to the Z2, and there's
not really a need for a Z3. But nobody's going to buy a two-year old
tablet, so they've got to keep bumping the bullet points on the box...

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia_z2_tablet_wi_fi-6161.php

--
Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>