[kwlug-disc] What is all this about systemd?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Sep 9 11:54:00 EDT 2014

> By combining small obscure individual services into one big one, it
> will force developers to fix bugs,

That doesn't follow. If services weren't used, bugs were obscure, just
because they're instead buried within a larger conglomerate doesn't
change anything - they won't be used any more or less there than before.

More likely, they'd be dropped entirely for lack of bugs / maintenance,
and so on. (Or 'Not getting with the program.')

Denying those that do get sufficient functionality from wherever its at
from continuing to do so.

> Personally, I wouldn't mind that happening for distros.  Having 6
> major distros and their variations is becoming wasteful.  There
> should be one Linux.

Principle of Linux is there's no one true way (or, sufficient masses
don't ALL agree the way is true), and software evolves / new stuff comes
along. People disagree in directions, and fork. Let alone invent.

Else, the 2nd distribution would never have come along in the first place.

Wasteful, I suppose, depends upon where you're at, and your view of a
current status quo. Obviously some don't / didn't consider it wasteful,
evolved {something}, and contributed it back for others to use, or not,
as they saw fit. Thankfully so.

... else the 2nd distribution would never have come along in the first
place.

And none of which has anything to do with monolithic systems, except
that people ultimately concluded it wasn't the one true way, and broke
it down. Leading to another tried and true principle - no monolithic
systems. Seemingly now being ignored ... and now being perpetuated to
other environments.

Khalid's only real / basic point is - choice that there's more than one
true way is being taken away, despite many saying it isn't the one true
way. And shouldn't be left as the only way available.

The second real / basic point is: monolithic (sub)systems - bad.

Distinct, non-overlapping points, actually.