[kwlug-disc] Was cronjob / btrfs scrup [Was: Re: What is all this about systemd?]

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Fri Oct 31 01:27:33 EDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 3:00 PM, B.S. <bs27975 at yahoo.ca> wrote:

> Hmmm. <cough> ... did you just say ... presentation? (-:

Hey, I'd love to watch one </dodge>

To be honest, I'd be willing to do a presentation on using btrfs from a
user point of view (including some interesting "issues"), or running VMs
with NFS roots (if I finally get some time to figure it out). But I've been
so busy I don't know when I could commit the time to document it.

I missed Lori's talk on ZFS. A btrfs talk would really overlap with things
I imagine were already covered.

NFS root file system on a NAS? ... have to ponder on that. (I know little
> of NFS / doesn't seem popular on home networks.)

I use it for all my Linux->Linux sharing, because it's easier than samba,
and preserves ownership and permissions. It has entirely different ways of
failing though, which make it unsuitable over wireless, or on a laptop, (or
more suitable, depending on your needs).

Perhaps a usb video doohickey bears investigating? [I poked not long ago -
> it doesn't appear that usb video doohickey's are particularly Linux
> friendly, at least at the moment.]

Unfortunately it wouldn't. There are some that seem to be supported by X,
but these would not give me BIOS or boot diagnostic information, since they
are not a "real" display adapter.

You bring up a good topic - robust network storage at home. Or something.
> Ties in with OwnCloud, for that matter? Hard to do a presentation on, I
> suspect - deep dives on things like zfs have been done (by Lori IIRC?),
> hard not to have to do a deep dive then have no time for use cases such as
> you describe.

I keep meaning to look at owncloud in my push to not depend on Google.
However, the only benefit it would get me would be caldav and webdav, I
think. I'm pretty happy with seafile for WAN-capable file sync (although it
has some minor issues as well).

--
Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>