[kwlug-disc] question about Webcam, Mic, Headphone for Skype video calls

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 11:15:19 EDT 2014

I just ordered a Logitech Webcam C310 yesterday from Amazon for $50 as some
of the reviewers mentioned it worked OOB with Linux.

It's replacing a Creative Labs webcam that I bought a few years ago that
comes on as soon as I boot into Linux.  I have to open up Cheese to get it
to shut off.

Sorry, but while they're a necessary evil, of sorts, the fact that they can
come on whenever they feel like it creeps me out.

But like you, I don't really care for AV on my computer, so I'm just using
a webcam with a built in microphone.  I think the mic is pretty much
standard on most webcams anyway.  Plus I have a pair of headphones with the
built in microphone as well in case the webcam doesn't work right.

My suggestion is that you go online and read the comments under any
products.  Amazon is usually good for that.

Since you're conducting an interview, you might appreciate the privacy of
headphones with a microphone, as opposed to speaking aloud into a room and
hoping the webcam picks your voice up.

I realize that you need answers today, but I'll let you know if the C310
gives me any grief.