[kwlug-disc] Was cronjob / btrfs scrup [Was: Re: What is all this about systemd?]

B.S. bs27975 at yahoo.ca
Tue Oct 28 13:13:47 EDT 2014

Speaking of, and given the coming presentation topic ...

I've recently started wondering about how to back up a vm, live. i.e.
Assuming one leaves a vm up 24/7, and wanting an instant restore (vs
backing up the vm from within the vm, be it rsync and/or mondoarchive).
In essence, if the machine or disk goes down, light up the backup copy
of the vm and get on with figuring out what happened to the original.

If the 'backup' lands on an external (eSata) disk, then presumably I
just move the disk to another machine upon original machine failure and
turn on the vm there.

 From my initial poking, vbox can't do this [but can if the vm is taken
down first]. Seems that an extra-vm facility is needed, such as a btrfs
or lvm snapshot.

'course ... that assumes the vm is currently stored on an lvm or btrfs fs.

So, guess I have to reformat a partition (and find somewhere to tuck the
stuff away for a moment), then go and figure out some snapshot automation.

Am I thinking correctly on this?