[kwlug-disc] tilde.club

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Oct 17 19:55:38 EDT 2014

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 07:42:54PM -0400, William Park wrote:
> I don't understand.  You get a shell account.  Then, what?

I'm not sure anybody understands. Some of the stuff that happens:

- People use old-skool chat programs like talk
- People put up handcrafted webpages
- People learn how to use vim (again)
- People form these weird close-knit communities that will probably
  last longer than the tilde.club server
- People retrofit new technologies onto old things (there are a large
  number of JSON APIs on tilde.club)
- People putter for a bit and then get bored and move to the next
  thing
- People learn more about how the Internet is put together by learning
  more about UNIX
- People learn without feeling that they are stupid n00bs.

This is as much social as it is technical.

When I first got my freeshell account I tried to participate in the
culture there. But it did not feel particularly rewarding, and some of
the people were jerks, and I got bored of the lagtime, so I left.
Maybe this is something different. I hope this is something different.

Paul Ford's webpage at http://tilde.club/~ford is really enlightening.

- Paul

--
Need election information? Big list of resources here:
http://www.waterlooregionconnected.com/showthread.php?tid=149