[kwlug-disc] Hard disk smartctl errors

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Oct 16 18:20:11 EDT 2014

This is the output so far, with -vv

About to copy 474388 MBytes from /dev/sdc2 to /data/ddrescue-20141015.img
    Starting positions: infile = 0 B,  outfile = 0 B
    Copy block size: 128 sectors
Sector size: 512  bytes
Max retries: 3
Direct: yes    Sparse: no    Split: no    Truncate: no

Press Ctrl-C to interrupt
Initial status (read from logfile)
rescued:         0 B,  errsize:       0 B,  errors:       0
Current status
rescued:    30782 MB,  errsize:    443 GB,  current rate:      128 B/s
   ipos:     2328 MB,   errors:    1465,    average rate:     427 kB/s
   opos:     2328 MB,     time from last successful read:       0 s
Trimming failed blocks...

The number of errors (1465 above) keeps decreasing! Yes, decreasing.
It was 1775 about 8 hours ago. I assume this is a good sign.

Also the average rate keeps decreasing. It was 539 kB/s this morning.
This means around 12.5 days to go ...

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.