[kwlug-disc] Stable release of OpenWRT is out

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Tue Oct 7 18:19:50 EDT 2014

So, I could not resist, and broke down and upgraded.

I followed the Terminal Upgrade Process detailed here
http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/generic.sysupgrade#terminal.upgrade.process
Saved the following to /etc/sysupgrade.conf

/etc/rc.local
/etc/syslog-ng.conf
/etc/crontabs/
/etc/custom/
/etc/config/

Good news, and bad news ...

Good news is that the router comes up, with WiFi, LuCI (the admin
interface), and all the DNS and DHCP mappings. So the home network works as
previous.

Bad news is that many packages do not exist yet. These include USB kernel
modules (which means I can't mount a flash drive), zlib (lots of things
depend on it), curl (use it for some scripts to do Dynamic DNS with
Linode), ncurses (htop, iftop depend on it).

As I expected, this would happen. It is more of an inconvenience so far,
nothing really crucial.

So, if you have installed packages, make sure they are not crucial when you
upgrade. Or wait some more ...

On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 2:29 PM, CrankyOldBugger <crankyoldbugger at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I will wait too.  I'm running openWRT on my Netgear WNDR3700.  Much better
> than the stock firmware!
>
> On 2 October 2014 13:46, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
>
>> Barrier Breaker (14.07) is now released.
>>
>> However, because of changes to how they are building packages, I will
>> wait for some time until packages stabilize, before considering upgrading
>> my router.
>>
>> http://lwn.net/Articles/614603/
>>
>> --
>> Khalid M. Baheyeldin
>> 2bits.com, Inc.
>> Fast Reliable Drupal
>> Drupal optimization, development, customization and consulting.
>> Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability. --  Edsger W.Dijkstra
>> Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --   Leonardo da Vinci
>> For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple, and
>> wrong." -- H.L. Mencken

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.
Fast Reliable Drupal