[kwlug-disc] (question) What embedded board do you have?

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Thu Oct 2 22:24:27 EDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 02, 2014 at 05:14:45AM -0400, William Park wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 02, 2014 at 02:01:32AM -0400, Paul Nijjar wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 04:47:48AM -0400, William Park wrote:
> > >
> > > What embedded board do you have/use?
> > >
> > > I'm aware of Raspberry Pi and BeagleBone Black (have this), and I'm
> > > interested in other boards.  I guess, I can extract mainboard from old
> > > laptops, but can't put that on a resume. :-)
> >
> > Somebody posted about the CubieBoard series a while ago. Of course, I
> > am posting without owning one, but now I am lusting after a
> > CubieTruck to replace my desktop computer.
> >
> > http://www.cubietruck.com/
>
> Ok, it has Gigabit and SATA, but price is out of wack.
> How does it compare with one of
> http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=26_706
> ?
> --

It's smaller and cuter.

It's got an ARM processor.

It is (mostly?) open hardware. (There appear to be problems with VPU
drivers.)

Maybe those other boards are better in every other respect.

I am a sheeple consumer, not a hacker or a maker. So I look at a board like
the CubieTruck that has the I/O ports I want (VGA out, enough RAM,
enough CPU power) and I start to drool. But I could be very incorrect
in my analysis; I have not done much research into the area.

- Paul

--
All-candidates meetings:
http://www.waterlooregion.org/municipal-elections-2014