[kwlug-disc] Windows 10

Darcy Casselman dscassel at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 19:55:41 EDT 2014

I'm not sure your intent on starting the thread, but I thought I'd hijack
it because this is kind of awesome.

This little bit of inside baseball rumouring popped up in my Twitter feed
today:

 Microsoft dev here, the internal rumours are that early testing revealed
just how many third party products that had code of the form

if(version.StartsWith("Windows 9"))
	{ /* 95 and 98 */
	} else {

and that this was the pragmatic solution to avoid that.

Which had me going "No, really?  Okay, yeah, maybe I can see that."

And then someone did a code search:

https://searchcode.com/?q=startswith%28%22windows+9%22%29

So yeah.  Geez.  It's everywhere.  Including stuff like the JDK, NetBeans
and Mono.

Even better than the "Because 7 8 9" jokes.

Darcy.