[kwlug-disc] Truecrypt

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Thu May 29 12:42:37 EDT 2014

Khalid wrote:
> As for alternatives, seems that LUKS is backward compatible with
TruCrypt.

I don't think so. There's tool called tcplay that provides a
TrueCrypt-like API to an encrypted storage volume that uses LUKS. I'm
not sure if you can substitute it for TrueCrypt, but I don't think
it's a drop-in replacement (ie. if TrueCrypt itself works with LUKS,
or if tcplay  reads TrueCrypt containers or volumes directly).
https://github.com/bwalex/tc-play (via
http://grugq.tumblr.com/post/60464139008/alternative-truecrypt-implementations
)

There's lots of conspiracy tin-foil-hattery at
https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7812133 which is a lot of fun to
read, theories ranging from a simple Website hack (unlikely,
considering the provenance of the signing keys) to a revelation that
Edward Snowden is the TrueCrypt author.

But a more reasonable discussion is by Runa Sandvik at
http://www.forbes.com/sites/runasandvik/2014/05/28/encryption-tool-endorsed-by-snowden-abruptly-shuts-down/

- --Bob.