[kwlug-disc] Podcast, phase 01

Andrew Sullivan Cant acant at alumni.uwaterloo.ca
Thu May 22 23:43:30 EDT 2014

On Thu 22 May 2014 00:10:27 EDT, Paul Nijjar wrote:
> On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 11:24:56PM -0400, Andrew Sullivan Cant wrote:
>>

> I have kind of given up on emfield. I plan to do some horrible hacky
> thing that embeds the real archive.org player in an iframe. Similarly,
> the hope is to use views to make the RSS feeds. I was thinking that I
> might get around to making that happen today, but I can pretty much
> guarantee that I won't.
>
> I am thinking that this podcast will be audio only, but we could set
> up a video podcast as well.

Can we must have a single feed to includes both for the moment?
Probably no reason to make it more complicated than necessary. Yet. :)

> There are some naming and metadata conventions I hope we can adhere
> to, but of course I do not have them handy now.
>
> I do not think you will need different credentials to upload. Just tag
> your posts with "podcast" and "kwlug". The archive.org terms of
> service prohibit organizations from sharing a login.

Will do. I'll try to match your metadata and get the other videos
uploaded.

> Eventually there might be a specific channel on archive.org to which
> we will post our stuff. But I do not think that is worth pursuing
> until/unless we get a proper podcast workflow in place, and publish
> several episodes, and decide that it is still worth publishing a
> podcast for fewer than two subscribers.

That seems reasonable. Additionally I was hoping to start pushings out
to youtube/vimeo eventually, and itunes would probably be a good idea
too. (Depending upon how they'll take the license of course.)

I was imagining that Archive.org could be our primary video/audio
repository, and the one that we link to from the site. They we push out
to other locations, to allow people to subscribe how they like.

Andrew