[kwlug-disc] Johnny Cash: A boy name SU

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed May 21 20:37:18 EDT 2014

sudo is just a command.

su is just a command.

Both just take commands as arguments.

sudo su is somewhat redundant.

su {user} or sudo -U {user} somewhat equivalent.

It's almost too bad everyone writes "sudo {something or other}" instead
of just "{something or other}". Instead of just indicating a need for an
elevated privileged account. Since 'su -c' is sufficiently an
equivalent, and how one gets to the elevated prompt doesn't really matter.

The unfortunate impression is left that sudo is some magical everything
command.

In some sense, too bad they don't list things as:

sudo bash -
{something or other}