[kwlug-disc] Crashing wireless routers

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Mon May 19 22:58:07 EDT 2014

Googling 'allintext: "tp-link" wndr3500 wndr3600' notes aside from the
extra usb port, the 3600 ports are gb.

If OpenWRT or the like ...

I can see a usb port for a thumbdrive for extra programs.

If you're so inclined, I can see a 2nd for a hard drive or a webcam
(nanny cam). I forget whether webcam support is universal or hardware
dependent.

- not entirely convinced I can wail a multi-gb backup at a router's usb
connected hard drive and not grind it into the ground, impacting web
speed in the process.

I'd be tempted by the 3rd aerial with the WDR4300, at $80.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/advanced_search_result.php?cPath=&sort=3a&category_id=1047&keywords=tp-link+gigabit&cPath=&sort=3a&filter_id=

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/start#tp-link

http://wiki.openwrt.org/fr/toh/tp-link/tl-wdr3600?s[]=wdr3600

Then there's the AC1750, 2.4 450Mbps, 5 1300Mbps, $100, 16Mb flash (vs 8
on the 3600).

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wdr7500?s[]=ac1750

Watch it though: "For the Archer C7 v1.x and WDR7500 v2.x, the 5GHz
802.11a/n/ac functionality is not supported, and likely will never be,
since support for the AR1A (v1) variant of QCA9880 chip is not included
in the open source ath10k driver. The Archer C7 v2.x uses the BR4A (v2)
variant which is supported in ath10k ath10k Linux"

Not entirely sure how much wi-fi speed matters, a client talks as fast
as a client talks, but presumably more is better - more likely to hit
client's max. than otherwise, I'm guessing.

If each additional device divides the available wi-fi bandwidth per
device, then presumably more speed at router means more clients running
full speed before having to reduce speed to accommodate other devices.

So, perhaps only a smartphone today, but 2 tomorrow, plus a tablet, TVs
now, plus a ...