[kwlug-disc] Crashing wireless routers

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sun May 18 22:14:52 EDT 2014

On Sun, May 18, 2014 at 9:06 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

>  Rogers provide me with modems that have WiFi in them. My current one is
>> the second such one. I just disable the residential gateway feature, so the
>> modem is just a modem.
>>

> I don't much like using a provider's box - mind you I rent. PITA when it
> has to be returned. What were those settings ... again? Let alone, the
> provider will be able to read the configuration. Which, I assume,
> includes passwords and wi-fi settings.
>
> Khalid, your wi-fi still works this way? When I put mine into bridged
> mode, all functionality but being a (one IP) modem stopped. (Not that I
> wanted its wi-fi.)

I disable WiFi on Rogers' modem, with all home routing stuff, and use WiFi
off my router.

On 14-05-18 12:43 PM, Charles M wrote:

>> Our wireless router does the dialing for the DSL (our DSL modem is in
>> bridged mode), is our DHCP server for computers on the LAN and WLAN.
>>

> I used to do this too. Wanting more DHCP flexibility one day (e.g.
> larger statically assigned ip address pool) I broke down and figured out
> the isc dhcp server on my kubuntu box. The advantage since has been, new
> box, copy files, go. No manual re-entry at each new router change. Worth
> your time (if you have one, or two, non-mobile devices in your place).
> And to change, pop into vi, restart service, get on with your day. No
> popping into the router web interface or restarting the device and thus
> the entire network. (Higher WAF!) Bonus - can play with (win)bind / try and
> make Win happier at DHCP request.

Having a PC on all the time wastes energy, and it is more failure prone
with moving parts (fans, disks, ...etc.). A tiny always on low power all
solid state device such as an OpenWRT device is more suitable for this.

You can definitely copy your old DHCP configuration from OpenWRT to OpenWRT
without having to go through

Just copy all the stanzas of "config host" from /etc/config/dhcp, and you
have all your home network.

Example:

config host
        option name 'first-laptop'