[kwlug-disc] Checking a USB disk for errors

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Fri May 16 11:32:22 EDT 2014

On 2014-05-16 09:30, John Johnson wrote:
> These mechanisms include traditional heat-sinks which radiate heat
> into air passing over fins to cool components mounted to the hear sink.

My bad. I am mixing "radiation" of heat with "conduction" of heat. And
it shows that I am not an expert in this area.

I would think, that finned heatsinks, while radition of heat is at play,
operate more on the principle of conduction of heat into the air which
if not moved by a fan will then move by convection. Conduction of heat
is also at play with the transfer of heat from the outside surfaces of
the laptop to the surrounding air.

OT: I once worked on a component for an LED display for a militiary
aircraft. There was lots of mass in the aluminum chassis and machined
mating surfaces to designed conduct heat away from the electronics into
the airframe. But there were no finned heat sinks. At 40,000 ft finned
heat sinks would be more-or-less useless as there is very little air at
those altitudes.

JohnJ