[kwlug-disc] Checking a USB disk for errors

Charles M chaslinux at gmail.com
Fri May 16 05:40:33 EDT 2014

To keep things simple at Computer Recycling we use gsmartcontrol (graphical
front end to smartcontrol). It's nice because it puts in pink/red various
kinds of errors drives have. The last tab has a short and extended test.
Mind you this is when we're testing drives we haven't used before.

On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 11:55 PM, William Park <opengeometry at yahoo.ca>wrote:

> On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 10:54:31PM -0400, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
> > On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 9:55 PM, Khalid Baheyeldin <kb at 2bits.com> wrote:
> >
> > > The method I used is to connect the drive to the laptop, unmount the
> NTFS
> > > filesystem that is on it, and then do:
> > >
> > > time dd if=/dev/sdb bs=16mb of=/dev/null
> > >

> > It is finally done ...
> >
> > # time dd if=/dev/sdb bs=16000k of=/dev/null
> > 61047+1 records in
> > 61047+1 records out
> > 1000204886016 bytes (1.0 TB) copied, 28626.2 s, 34.9 MB/s
>
> 34.9MB/s is pretty fast for USB2, but slow for USB3.  What I usually do
> in this case is
>     badblocks -b 4096 -c 4096 -sv ...
>     badblocks -b 4096 -c 4096 -swv ...
> where -w is for destructive read/write test.
>

> > real    477m6.269s
> > user    0m0.296s
> > sys     19m33.457s
> >
> > That is 7.95 hours ...
> > --
> > Khalid M. Baheyeldin
> > 2bits.com, Inc.
> > Fast Reliable Drupal
> > Drupal optimization, development, customization and consulting.
> > Simplicity is prerequisite for reliability. --  Edsger W.Dijkstra
> > Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. --   Leonardo da Vinci
> > For every complex problem, there is an answer that is clear, simple, and
> > wrong." -- H.L. Mencken

Charles McColm, Author: Instant XBMC,
Columnist: Full Circle Magazine,
Project Manager: The Working Centre Computer Recycling Project
Web: http://www.theworkingcentre.org/cr/
Blog: http://www.charlesmccolm.com/
Twitter/Identica/Google+: @chaslinux