[kwlug-disc] mutt-compatible mail client

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Sat May 10 21:46:46 EDT 2014

On 10/05/14 04:38 PM, Paul Nijjar wrote:
> Here is the thing: I want this mail client to cooperate with Mutt's
> mail files. I want this mail client to read the mail files (which I
> think are in mbox format), save messages to the same files, and so on.
> It should NOT want to create its own separate set of mail folders (or
> if it wants to, then I should be able to dissuade it from doing so).
> It should NOT convert my mail into a format that I won't be able to
> use with Mutt later.

[snip]

> Suggestions? (I am guessing there will be a lot of Thunderbird
> suggestions, and I have not tried that yet. But there are other email
> clients, too.)

Okay. You win. I am using Icedove (nee Thunderbird), and I sort-of have
it working. I had to change the following:

- Rename my mutt inbox to Inbox
- Be careful about not checking email in Mutt and then expecting Icedove
to see it
- Putting up with a lot of .msf nonsense files that get created in my
Mail directory
- Changing the places that Icedove wants to save my mail to something
more sensible.

The good news is that Mutt continues to be able to use the mail files
that Icedove is using.

I do not know whether this will serve as a workaround for my mailing
list problem yet.

- Paul