[kwlug-disc] Easy Software based VPN

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Mon May 5 18:59:24 EDT 2014

I expect

 > I don't want to have to be responsible for user management or
anything after the initial setup.

is a pipe dream except in a couple of use cases, if you have a dynamic
user base. VPNs (nature of beastie) are so outside the norm that
inevitably there is a large, time consuming, user educational element to
VPNs. I don't expect that changes regardless of the software used.

The non-dream use cases are: always on (user can't do anything useful if
the VPN isn't up, as the data they need is on the server side of the
VPN, e.g. remote e-mail/client) [so connection must be automated and not
under user control]; and almost always off (you need to connect to them
for maintenance, so again, not under user control). Outside of that, it
will be an ongoing task to mind.

As mentioned, for that dynamic user base, there is the fee services
available at http://openvpn.net/ Part of the advantage of that appears
to be clients consulting the service for where/how to connect to your
servers. i.e. You don't have to worry about the connection details /
fiddly bits on each client, that part is automated for you / the user.

For OpenVPN, there are registry entries you can make to simplify the
OpenVPN gui for the user. e.g. Limit it to dis/connect, removing some of
the complexity/flexibility for them. (While leaving any necessary
complexity available via command line / script.)

See 'Registry Values affecting the OpenVPN GUI operation' within
http://openvpn.se/install.txt The OpenVPN GUI is now bundled within the
Windows OpenVPN packages.

I can see the advantage Paul suggests with SecurePoint. Unless you have
the simple use case of 'Connect to office' (or disconnect). In which
case you may find judicious registry changes useful / simpler. (Taking
as much as possible / most all user interface, and thus complexity, off
the table.)