[kwlug-disc] Home made indoor TV Antenna

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu May 1 17:08:35 EDT 2014

On Thu, May 1, 2014 at 3:23 PM, Paul Gallaway <paul at gallaway.ca> wrote:

> I can report that I can successfully tune the Toronto stations
> (Global, CITY, OMNI1&2, CBC, Radio Canada (CBC Francais) and Hamilton
> (CITS, TVO, CHCH - problematic), and a couple out of, I think, Paris
> (TVO, another Global - channel 6). I do not get anything from Buffalo
> and I do not get CTV2 (CHCJ, channel 35 I think) out of Hamilton. In
> the end I used a roof mount, 10' mast galvanized 1.5" conduit (might
> have been 1.25"), Antennas Direct DB8 and a mast mounted Channel
> Master preamp (model 7777, I think).

Thanks for the wealth of info in your message.

Which area are you in (closest intersection)?

With the Philips SDV8625T antenna, less than 10 ft from the ground, I am
getting these channels all the time.

Real Virtual Call Sign Network
 20   5       CBLT      CBC Toronto
17   6       CIII      Global
13   13      CKCO      CTV
25   25      CBLTF     CBC Toronto French
28   28      CICO      TVO
36   36      CITS      From Hamilton

And this one comes in most of the time.
15   11      CHCH      From Hamilton

This one is not consistent.
35   35      CHCJ      CTV 2 Barrie

I was getting them all before I put in the mast, which moved it for a foot
or so and the height and orientation changed as well. This is not the end
of it though, the antenna will be adjusted again when I get the permanent
cable for it and run it through the house instead of across the lawn.

Your DB8 + CM7777 are just getting two more from Toronto: Omni 1 (channel
40) and 2 (Ch 47). I do see a weak signal for them, as well as 32 from
Buffalo (WLNO), but not enough for the TV to tune any of those three
channels.

This tells me the Philips is a good antenna, for $90 total price (no
separate pre-amp), and a great antenna for $50 when its on sale.

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.