[kwlug-disc] Home made indoor TV Antenna

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Thu May 1 15:42:35 EDT 2014

So let me ask a question.. what's the deal with signal amplifiers on
antennas?  The reason I ask if that if I go with a rooftop antenna, it
makes sense to me to take down the satellite dish and install the antenna
on the satellite's mounting bracket (less holes in my roof, and it's on the
Southern side of the house).  Problem is, the Bell installer ran three coax
cables down from the dish straight to their respective TVs (i.e. one line
goes to the living room, two lines go to the bedrooms), instead of bringing
the lines down to a demarcation point then splitting/amplifying from there.
 So if I need an amplifier, do I put one on each existing coax cable (at
the TV end), or can I run power from a basement outlet up to the antenna
via a fourth coax cable, then connect to an amp at the antenna?

I wasn't pleased with all of the holes the Bell guy made in the outside
walls, but unfortunately I wasn't able to stop him in time.  When I
installed the satellite myself at the last house, I ran all of my cables
down to a central spot in the basement, attached a splitter there, then up
the walls to the rooms.