[kwlug-disc] what is the perfect openWRT router?

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Fri Mar 28 08:58:59 EDT 2014

There isn't one.

Technology keeps moving along, and individuals needs differ.

Since you first proposed the idea, SD card slots have become frequent,
USB all but ubiquitous, and some even have eSata ports. Some aren't even
routers, and openWRT runs on PCs too. Oh, and 5GHz, and was that USB 3
or 2.0 with that?

Along the way there was also talk of sourcing our own modular hardware
pieces, only Canadian supplier - somewhere mid-west. And RaspPI came along.

By the time your current router dies, the new round of hardware upgrades
have occurred, and, oops, are the new drivers open source (yet?) to be
able be included with OpenWRT?

At best it would seem hardware snapshots / points in time are all that's
possible, and the audience for that is within the few month time span of
that snapshot.

What function does an individual want the beastie to have? Media centre
using NFS (failed for Richard), vpn endpoint, router bandwidth / network
health device (one off, while problems are being experienced), or ?

As an embedded linux training device, I'm not so sure. It uses jffs
and/or squashfs, 'without gui', so one can't exactly transport a linux
user to it, or vice versa. For what you're talking about there, it would
be easier to simply use a vm, which may in fact merely be running an
emulator.

Or, a RaspPI or something, and aren't we more in to kwartzlab (which
didn't exist at time of your original proposal), than kwlug? Or go at it
as a firewall pc (names escape me at the moment) where at least the
variety of hardware in play is less important / critical. (Have a hard
disk, cpu, couple of network ports, good to go.) Perhaps more usefully -
go at it as a mobile network health device using Android. Where cheaper
older hardware versions are probably nearby via kijiji, and one doesn't
have to worry about bricking their every day cell phone.

The openwrt sites and forums seem to be the pages to go to, and
sufficient. That the hardware pages are complex merely reflects the
state of the hardware world that makes choosing the 'one true hardware
device' so hard for your purpose.

Download a file, upload to router, done. Follow single page (per
hardware device) how to on site, fini.

It's everything after that where it gets sticky. And depends upon the
question: Where do you want to go today, what is your particular use case?

The challenge for Khalid (or anyone) is not getting OpenWRT up and
going, it's, and then what ...

The answer to which is more about teaching and presenting networking and
the ecosystem within which it sits, than about OpenWRT.

The answers of which can also be done on your local PC or vm, with nary
a mention of OpenWRT throughout. Perhaps even via RaspPI and vlans, even.