[kwlug-disc] Voicemail by email

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Mar 26 23:21:47 EDT 2014

Don't worry about it. Just tweak the very few options you need (Paul's
message has good steps.), then forget about it.

We forward voip.ms voice mail to a group account (nothing says it can't
be forwarded to a group) - multiple recipients get every voice mail
message via e-mail. i.e. Multiple cells and workstations,
simultaneously. It just works. (One thing that might be nice, in
hindsight, is an automatic text transcription, too!)

Given the initial $25 required, we figure it will get used up in
something like 6 years. (Sort of kidding.) It's just that cheap, easy,
and fire and forget.

As for need for POTS - put a UPS on your router and VoIP and you're good
to go. Anything that lasts longer ... you're going to use your cell,
anyways. (And in that situation the UPS should keep the phone up long
enough to put a forward to your cell on the main line, anyways.) Put a
2nd UPS (I bought two CyberPower 425VA's on sale at Canada Computers for
something like $35 ea.) on your cordless base station, and you have
multiple handset VoIP phone ability even in a power out situation. The
routers and base station really draw very little power - you should be
safe for many hours. Usually for the duration of the outage, and more.
(And for any long duration, you're probably not home to catch the call,
anyways. Or sleeping.)

Given POTS cost ... for the benefit -potentially- gained in that rare
situation ... it's not worth holding on to it.

Two easy ways to test / exercise it - get a VoIP number. Forward it to
your POTS. Acquire happiness over its reliability (or not). Alternately,
forward your POTS to the VoIP, same exercise. Upon reassurance, port the
number. Once ported, cut the cord.