[kwlug-disc] my freedns.afraid.org venture

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Sat Mar 22 16:18:02 EDT 2014

While I am not sure what you are trying to do, I may have am idea for you.

I have a DLINK DIR-645 router and a number of computers on my LAN, one
of which is set up with Linux running Apache so as to serve as a webserver.
(see blog on KWLUG user pages)

To allow external users external access to the webserver through a
browser I have the router set up for "port forwarding".
And, with this setup, users external to my LAN and on the intertubes can
access the webserver by typing: http://209.xxx.xxx.xxx.
(I do not have a registered domain.)
The IP address is used without specifying the port to be used, i.e.
defaulting port 80. Port 80 is forwarded to the webserver as is port 443.

This mechanism also worked on a previous DKINK router model.

BTW: The webserver is not up at the moment as Apache is broken. TODO: fix.

JohnJ