[kwlug-disc] SMS support from VoIP providers (was "Voicemail by email")

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Thu Mar 20 13:53:07 EDT 2014

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 12:57 PM, Denver Gingerich <denver at ossguy.com>wrote:

> As for how it works: you login to their XMPP server using
> <your_10-digit_number>@s.ms and then you can send/receive SMS using
> <10-digit_number>@sms contacts (note that your contacts are "@sms",
> not "@s.ms").  All you pay is US$1.49/month for a DID; there is no
> per-message charge for SMS send/receive.  I'm not sure if they support
> send/receive to/from numbers outside Canada and the US, but I've sent
> within and between Canada/US no problem.

I really like what I'm hearing. This would put me back to actual device
independence again.

The only potential downside I see is adding updating all my contacts with @
s.ms xmpp addresses. Perhaps there is an xmpp client with support for this
kind of sms gateway that can just pull mobile numbers and itself append @
s.ms?

What are the best xmpp clients for android (Desktop use is fairly well
handled by pidgin/epiphany for me). One of the points in sms' favour is
there the large amount of really amazing clients out there (and a bunch of
"good enough" clients that you don't need to think about, like hangouts).

Lastly, and this is probably unrealistic: How does conversation persistence
work, if at all? If I'm connected to an xmpp account in multiple places
(desktop+tablet+phone), and get a message, I believe that will show up on
all three. Do my responses get replicated to my devices as well, or just
incoming messages (or just the first incoming in a conversation)?

--
Chris Irwin
<chris at chrisirwin.ca>