[kwlug-disc] Home made indoor TV Antenna

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Mar 14 10:40:18 EDT 2014

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 3:17 AM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> My results (had rabbit ears to hand, amplifier built in, had bought an OTA
> ATSC tuner) were similar to yours. I think I picked up a different, unique,
> 3rd channel. (Glenridge area.)

Probably TVO. I saw its name come in the TV's ATSC tuner when messing with
positioning, but did not see any images of it. So it is possible with a
better antenna.

For my use case of the time, external not possible, my next step would have
> been directional internal. Something like
> http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Indoor+Antennas&product=1505315.

Yes, this one is highly rated, but the rabbit ears are huge and it is
"tippy" (no heavy stable base).

This one is mentioned in the above comments, and highly rated on Amazon,
where it sells for $94 (as opposed to The Source's $150).

http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Indoor+Antennas&product=8011403

> My concern would have been not wanting to keep fiddling with antenna
> direction. Directional this way, move to directional another way, repeat.

Agreed.

And rotators for outside antennas would be problematic with ice, wind and
such.

Some people mention two antennas outside to get around there, but I am
first trying to evaluate how far indoor will get me before deciding to take
it outside.

> Would be interested in your posting any similar anecdotal results if you
> make a home made version of any of the above.

The one thing I am expecting is that the aluminum dish one will get
different channels, since it is a loop and gets the other set of
frequencies (UHF vs VHF).
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.