[kwlug-disc] Home made indoor TV Antenna

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Fri Mar 14 01:21:57 EDT 2014

So, I decided to experiment with indoor antennas, to get a baseline on what
is available, before deciding to go for another solution (whether
commercial indoor, or installing an outdoor).

Today I built this antenna for $2.96 plus tax (for the matching transformer
from The Source).

http://www.instructables.com/id/Quick-Makeshift-HDTV-Antenna/?ALLSTEPS

This is the part you need
http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product.aspx?language=en-CA&catalog=Online&category=Video_Connectors&product=1501140

The initial results are: In West Waterloo (Erb and Fischer Hallman area), I
could get 3 channels with it (CKCO [CTV], CII-HD [Global], and CII-SD
[Global]).

I have not tried to position it better, or use a longer cable. If I make
significant progress, I will post an update.

Those who are adventurous, can try other more elaborate designs.

This one I may try next: Aluminum pie dish.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIpGUb5wsNg

Fun factor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIpGUb5wsNg

Tin foil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_OhW02DmUs

There are more complex ones with many wires from coat hangers, ...etc.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.