[kwlug-disc] OBD-II/OBD2 Diagnostic Scanner

Chris Irwin chris at chrisirwin.ca
Fri Mar 7 14:21:01 EST 2014

On Fri, Mar 7, 2014 at 1:35 PM, John Johnson <jvj at golden.net> wrote:

> On 2014-03-07 13:20, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
>
>> My car has a peculiar problem that appears only in winter, and with no
>> Check Engine, nor code in OBD. If I am in a hurry, the first few minutes
>> have less power when going uphill (like the regular route to school for the
>> kid), and tends to cut the engine if I press on the fuel pedal, with a
>> certain sound (not good at describing it). Once I drop the kid (3
>> minutes?), the drive back is normal, and so is most of the day.
>>
>> No one could diagnose it, because it is only in winter, and only if they
>> drive uphill in the first 3 minutes after ignition is on.
>>
>> The car passed emissions on the first try, so the above is a nuisance and
>> the workaround is to warm the car for the 3 minutes before driving uphill.
>>

> IANAM (mechanic) It sounds to me that you have a vacuum leak that is
> incredibly temperature sensitive I suggest that you ask your mechanic to
> look at the rubber hoses that are part of the fuel / emissions system. I
> had something similar recently but no where near as temperature sensitive.
> The techs at Cdn Tire (another shameless shill) found and fixed the problem.

Also not a mechanic, but my wife's car had a similar problem that took
three or four visits to repair (under warranty, at least). Turns out she
had a bad ignition wire on one of her spark plugs. It had a slight break in
it, and wouldn't ignite the spark plug it was connected to. On warmer days,
or after the engine warmed up, the metal in the cable would expand enough
to render the cable usable.