[kwlug-disc] D-Link DIR-835 for OpenWRT

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Sat Mar 1 15:01:37 EST 2014

The D-Link DIR-835 is $10 off at both Futureshop and BestBuy this week
($80).

If you don't want to drive there, they ship it free to you.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/d-link-d-link-dual-band-wireless-n750-gigabit-router-dir-835-dir-835/10195576.aspx

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/d-link-d-link-dual-band-wireless-n750-gigabit-router-dir-835-dir-835/10195576.aspx

It has the usual features of WiFi 2.4GHz and 5GHz, Gigabit LAN, USB port,
...etc.

Though not supported in OpenWRT 12.09 (latest stable), but has support in
the daily snapshots.

What makes this router good for OpenWRT (and DD-WRT, ...etc. is that it has
128MB of RAM, and 16MB of flash (double most of what is out there). So, you
can install more packages on it.

The reviews for it are mixed though. To protect against a bad unit, I paid
$20 more for a 3 year replacement warranty.

Here is how I installed OpenWRT and configured the router. It is really
easier than I thought.

http://baheyeldin.com/technology/linux/quick-how-installing-openwrt-d-link-dir-835-wireless-router.html
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin