[kwlug-disc] Linux-compatible eSATA expansion cards

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Mon Jun 30 22:48:03 EDT 2014

Yes, it must be PCIe. PCI can never keep up - even if only one drive. As
I recall, when I investigated. [If you have that many drives that you
need a card, and no PCIe slots - time to replace the MB. This was one
reason to wait for after-Sandybridge - more onboard Sata ports.]

The whole x1 / x4 thing - thanks for the reminder, I had forgotten about
such. (Shows how often I buy cards.)

However, for Paul's case ... it need not be eSata for that use case. USB
3.0 would do it. Bonus for a USB 3.0 / eSata 6Gbps dock or enclosure you
take the enclosure out of. (Leaving all Sata ports for internal drives.)
USB 2.0 may well even do it for the use case Paul described.

And nothing says you can't get more than 1 x4 card - but check your
slots. IIRC most MBs I saw at the time had 3 x4 slots but one taken by
video. Or using one slot halved the speed on some other - which mostly
didn't matter as it was never expected that both such slots would be
used at the same time. But do check the manual beforehand.