[kwlug-disc] How to choose a new motherboard

Darcy Casselman dscassel at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 23:19:27 EDT 2014

I'm getting random drive errors on multiple drives on my old desktop
machine (SMART tests say OK).  So I'm guessing the drive controller's
failing on the motherboard.  So it's time to get a new one.

It's been a while since I last bought a motherboard/CPU.  I was wondering
if anyone knew of any decent resources to figure out (a) how well various
motherboards/chipsets respect my freedom (or even, say, can I run Ubuntu on
them without too much hassle), (b) whether they're any good or not or even
(c) what the various socket/chipset/CPU names represent these days.  I have
no idea.

I'm googling, but if you've got any favourite sites, I'm happy to hear
about them.

Darcy.