[kwlug-disc] KWLUG and CASL (and Mailman)

Bob Jonkman bjonkman at sobac.com
Wed Jun 18 14:57:13 EDT 2014

My take on this is: Messages on KWLUG don't meet the definition of a
"Commercial Electronic Message", so there is no need to keep track of
subscribers' consent or provide a snail-mail address.

Even messages that provide information about commercial products or
services don't necessarily meet the definition, because they're not
"promoting" one of the proscribed activities, only providing factual
information.  Of course, anybody who does promote their products or
services or land deals or gaming activities makes their message a
"Commercial Electronic Message". But then the origin is that sender,
not the KWLUG organization, so KWLUG should still be held harmless.

If KWLUG were to solicit donations, or charge membership fees, or
charge for tickets to meetings then perhaps it might be different.
Certainly organizations that *do* have membership fees may have
different compliance requirements (attn: Kwartzlab folks)

- --Bob, who is not a lawyer and does not offer legal advice.