[kwlug-disc] Fill-in talk needed for July

CrankyOldBugger crankyoldbugger at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 22:28:52 EDT 2014

I installed miniDLNA on an Ubuntu server a year or so ago, before I started
using the Synology box for streaming my movies.  It was as simple an
install as Khalid implies.  In fact, I just dug through my notes and found
the install instructions:

   -

   Setup MiniDLNA on Ubuntu Server

   Set up the necessary shares first.

   Then...

   sudo apt-get update

   sudo apt-get upgrade

   sudo apt-get install minidlna

   Then configure minidlna.conf file. Below is my new minidlna.conf file:

   # port for HTTP (descriptions, SOAP, media transfer) traffic

   port=8200

   # network interfaces to serve, comma delimited.

   # network_interface=eth0

   # set this to the directory you want scanned.

   # * if have multiple directories, you can have multiple media_dir= lines

   # * if you want to restrict a media_dir to a specific content type, you

   # can prepend the type, followed by a comma, to the directory:

   # + "A" for audio (eg. media_dir=A,/home/jmaggard/Music)

   # + "V" for video (eg. media_dir=V,/home/jmaggard/Videos)

   # + "P" for images (eg. media_dir=P,/home/jmaggard/Pictures)

   media_dir=V,/home/user/media/Movies

   media_dir=P,/home/user/media/Photos

   media_dir=A,/home/user/media/Music

   # set this if you want to customize the name that shows up on your
   clients

   friendly_name=My-MiniDLNA

   # set this if you would like to specify the directory where you want
   MiniDLNA to store its database and album art cache

   db_dir=/home/user/.minidlna

   # set this if you would like to specify the directory where you want
   MiniDLNA to store its log file

   log_dir=/var/log

   # set this to change the verbosity of the information that is logged

   # each section can use a different level: off, fatal, error, warn, info,
   or debug

   log_level=general,artwork,database,inotify,scanner,metadata,http,ssdp,tivo=fatal

   # this should be a list of file names to check for when searching for
   album art

   # note: names should be delimited with a forward slash ("/")

   album_art_names=Cover.jpg/cover.jpg/AlbumArtSmall.jpg/albumartsmall.jpg/AlbumArt.jpg/albumart.jpg/Album.jpg/album.jpg/Folder.jpg/folder.jpg/Thumb.jpg/thumb.jpg

   # set this to no to disable inotify monitoring to automatically discover
   new files

   # note: the default is yes

   inotify=yes

   # set this to yes to enable support for streaming .jpg and .mp3 files to
   a TiVo supporting HMO

   enable_tivo=no

   # set this to strictly adhere to DLNA standards.

   # * This will allow server-side downscaling of very large JPEG images,

   # which may hurt JPEG serving performance on (at least) Sony DLNA
   products.

   strict_dlna=no

   # default presentation url is http address on port 80

   #presentation_url=http://www.mylan/index.php

   # notify interval in seconds. default is 895 seconds.

   notify_interval=895

   # serial and model number the daemon will report to clients

   # in its XML description

   serial=12345678

   model_number=1

   # specify the path to the MiniSSDPd socket

   # minissdpdsocket=/var/run/minissdpd.sock

   # use different container as root of the tree

   # possible values:

   # + "." - use standard container (this is the default)

   # + "B" - "Browse Directory"

   # + "M" - "Music"

   # + "V" - "Video"

   # + "P" - "Pictures"

   # if you specify "B" and client device is audio-only then
   "Music/Folders" will be used as root

   # root_container=.

   Addendum

   If the file list is not being updated correctly then try deleting the
   minidlna cache directory (in sample configuration it's /var/cache/minidlna)
   with a rm -rf /var/cache/minidlna/*.

   Pasted from <
   http://sourceforge.net/projects/minidlna/forums/forum/879957/topic/5007110

   To Autostart MiniDLNA

   Start minidlna at boot time
   <http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1616685&page=2> (...half way
   down)
   - To auto start minidlna at server boot :
   - sudo cp minidlna.init.d.script /etc/init.d/minidlna
      - sudo chmod +x /etc/init.d/minidlna
      - sudo update-rc.d minidlna defaults
   - Some users had to make that last line into the following below to make
      it work. For me it worked as above :
   - sudo update-rc.d minidlna defaults 98 2

   Pasted from <http://w.rkdrm.com/index.php?title=MiniDLNA>