[kwlug-disc] Fill-in talk needed for July

Paul Nijjar paul_nijjar at yahoo.ca
Fri Jun 13 14:55:08 EDT 2014

Okay. I think that a short event night would work out. Maybe have
people give talks that are from 5-15 minutes in length, with the
emphasis being on informal and low-stress? We could even say "no
slides" or "demo only".

Do we have some offers? There are lots of topics, some not directly
related to Linux:

- Khalid talking about his adventures in free TV (maybe slides would
  be necessary for this, since Khalid is not willing to give a live
  demo of mounting an antenna at SJK)
- Cranky talking about cutting the cord
- Somebody talking about a new release of <distro> (eg Ubuntu 14.04)
- Bob/Brian talking about their Bits and Bytes evangelism/installfest
- Helpful Firefox/Chrome plugins
- Living life on the commandline
- Buying FLOSS-friendly hardware in 2014
- Something about FLOSS tools in the maker movement
- How to make a podcast using FLOSS tools (I don't think I should
  suggest this as a possibility..)

There are lots more, I'm sure.

As for Bob's suggestion: I guess we could do a social night, but I
would prefer for us to schedule one explicitly. Using social nights as
backups for missed talks is a bad precedent. However, if lots of
people want a social night then we could do this.

- Paul

http://pnijjar.freeshell.org