[kwlug-disc] Home made indoor TV Antenna

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Fri Jun 13 09:11:59 EDT 2014

On 2014-06-13 08:56, Paul Gallaway wrote:
> They are also advocating 14 gauge wire for grounding which
> doesn't sound heavy enough to me (seems optimistic that any wire might
> carry "100's of thousands of volts" from lightning).
Agree. But in reality even 00 gauge wire will not dissipate the charge
or handle the current from a direct lightning strike.
The 14 GA wire may, however, allow a light discharge to help prevent the
build up of a much larger charge.

This is part of the reasoning behind lightning rods, i.e. dissipation of
charge vs direction of a direct strike.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Elmo%27s_fire

JohnJ