[kwlug-disc] Grounding for antenna

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Jun 12 19:10:51 EDT 2014

 > Question 2: Do I need to ground the RG6 as well using something like
this:
 > http://www.homedepot.ca/product/grounding-block-dual-rg6-rg59/964991

Yes. (It's also the extra screw seen on splitters. Effects same thing.
Difference is where in stream things are. Presumably closer to aerial
the better.)

Wire to this screw from stake, plus wire under one of your clamps to
this screw if not being clamped around the metal pole, should do it all,
AFAIK.

Just rent a fence post pounder from somewhere for a few hours. Place
opposite Wendy's near University & Weber (name I can't recall),
HomeDepot, or wherever. Should be < $20, even for a day.

(Seems to me I saw only 3' was necessary, but IANAL.)

Any old wire, think car battery connected thickness should do. The one
on mine inside house / to which bell also clamps, is green cladded. Many
have no cladding at all, too. Oxidizes, no biggie.

- aside from ground wire also present, I ran an additional house wire
sized one from my splitter to it. It's purpose is merely grounding, not
lightning strike handling. (Not having an aerial. You probably have /
had the equivalent put in by Rogers to their splitter / connection point.)

Thing to watch for is you want stake down as far as you can - here, so
least human potential exposure (kids hand on stake same time as strike =
bad), but also for least stubbed toes, lawnmover blade wrecking, and so
on. I suppose placement as close as possible to a fence post will take
advantage of hole already dug / least likely to give grief. (Wouldn't
use water hose method there though ... would compromise fence post
integrity, I expect.)

- it occurs to me ... just to see what / if any impact it might have on
your signal, just throw a piece of house wiring between a cable
connector and the plate screw of a nearby electrical socket. Doesn't
deal with the lightning strike, but may demonstrate any value to
grounding your signal. As you say, you're comfortable with a strike
taking out your suppressor. You may or may not want more or less
depending upon this test.