[kwlug-disc] Home made indoor TV Antenna

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Thu Jun 12 18:32:29 EDT 2014

Interesting. Thanks.

Good point - whether not present, or auto-skipped is probably largely
user transparent. And if you're not actually going to keep things
(years), no real need to take the chance of glitch.

Wi-Fi. Ick. (Android/tablets, OK, but I still don't see the point. Mind
you, perhaps that's my age / current use case and I'm behind the times.
TV is for sitting down and consuming, putting all else to the side for
the duration. I gather though, with news blurbs throughout the day and
so much youtube content, 'TV' is no longer 'merely' couch surfing. I
suppose today TV = family time is a pipe dream.)

I suppose, to your point, if suitable to your setup, post-recording
followup could transcode to your DLNA box from which your viewers drink.

- I take your point on the hw encoding - it's why the Haupauge NTSC
tuners were popular. <'defunct'> <sad>

Seems we're going backwards on all this stuff again, per HomeRun diagram
in your link. Blu-Ray, DLNA, ATSC, net ... we're losing the one-stop
shopping TV remote - aggregate all content to a point of point and play.
<sigh>

In the end, do we not want all content aggregating (if only virtually)
to Myth, and only Myth feeding the TV/receiver? (Or XBMC - either
XBMC->Myth or Myth->XBMC?)

On 14-06-12 01:14 PM, Paul Gallaway wrote:
.
.
.
> ATSC recordings are just dumps of the digital transmission (MPEG2) to
> disk so size depends on the data rate of the transmitter which can
.
.
.