[kwlug-disc] Grounding for antenna

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Thu Jun 12 17:46:02 EDT 2014

Looking at how proper grounding is done, an 8 ft copper grounding rod is
driven in the soil as far as it goes. Then a thick copper wire is attached
to it via a bolt.

Driving a rod that long is no easy task

Here is the simplest method with no tools, and least mess, just using the
rod itself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0dyf-fibzg

Here is another fast method using a sledgehammer (but a custom bit is made
for it)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvCZvNj8H30

Or this messy method using a a 10 ft 1/4" or 5/8" conduit and a garden hose
, which takes ~ 20 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kpI8PFNYl4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5eorpQBml0

Question 1: Any other simple method for driving the rod in the ground?

Once the rod is in the ground, then all I need is something like this
around the mast
http://www.lowes.ca/grounding/iberville-12-in-to-1-in-grounding-clamp_9922518.html

And attach it to a wire that attaches to the rod in the ground (or the rod
itself if close enough), using this thingie
http://www.lowes.ca/grounding/ideal-ground-rod-clamp-1-12-in-x-1-710-in_8785307.html

Question 2: Do I need to ground the RG6 as well using something like this:
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/grounding-block-dual-rg6-rg59/964991

Note that the 100 ft RG6 goes into a surge protector near the TV (the other
corner of the house from where the cable goes in to the house).

Feedback appreciated.
--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.