[kwlug-disc] GUI Backup Software

Paul Gallaway paul at gallaway.ca
Thu Jun 12 13:38:19 EDT 2014

I started with a very simple rsync command in cron, based on what I read here:
http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/
And I still use rsync in place of cp when moving a lot of data across
the network.

For backups I have since moved to using rsnapshot which was apparently
meant to emulate the scripting above and meant I didn't need so many
lists to exclude directories and backup different folders, rotation
etc. I can't remember where I stumbled across it first but the
rotating backups of different time horizons sold me.
http://www.rsnapshot.org/

My setup is relatively simple but I believe rsnapshot will do pull/push backups.

I guess it fails because it doesn't have a gui that I'm aware of. It
does support logging so I think you could configure to email as
previously suggested.

~pAul.

all good things, all in good time...