[kwlug-disc] GUI Backup Software

Jason Locklin locklin.jason at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 14:14:45 EDT 2014

On 11/06/14 10:49 AM, CrankyOldBugger wrote:
> I took this question to alternativeto.net and the favourite there (after
> rsync) is http://www.duplicati.com/

Duplicity is great. Encrypted backups, rotation of partial and full
backups, easy automation and logging, lot's of "backends" for various
remote and local backups. I have used it for years on my own machines to
back things up to multiple places nightly. According to apt, Deja-dup is
a GUI frontend to Duplicity that integrates well with Gnome, but I
personally prefer scripted backups running from cron. There is also
Duply and backupninja in the repos, but I find duplicity fine on it's
own. I like being able to restore a single file, or entire filesystem
from yesterday, or a specific day 8 months ago, yet have nightly backups
that typically take only a few minutes. Just don't forget to secure your
backup key/passphrase away in a few safe places.