[kwlug-disc] Home made indoor TV Antenna

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Jun 11 12:25:21 EDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 12:07 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> This aerial is attached to the side, or the back, of your yard?

Back of the yard, where it can get a view to the south east between two
houses.

> Will there be a humidity issue with the cover? e.g. looks like a top could
> go on the bottom if a slot cut in it? Squirrels? (Or will the humidity even
> out eventually, and be much the same - top or no?)

The pre-amp company said it should have a hole on the bottom so humidity
would drain. So I left the whole bottom open, since the container is deep
enough.

Squirrels? Not sure if they can climb the smooth side of the metal pipe,
and even if they do, why would the pre-amp interest them more than the
cables (if they want to chew on).

> Could be worthwhile for you to gather all these messages into a blog or
> something - at kwlug.org if nowhere else.

I am planning to do that on my own blog.

> It is all REALLY GOOD STUFF, not just for cutting the cord, but for the
> specifics of the K-W local area too.

Indeed.

The only iffy part is the couple of channels that go in and out. Moving the
antenna a bit to the left would bring in the Omnis and CityTV, but I would
lose CHCH.

So at some point one has to compromise and decide enough is enough, given
the distance and obstacles.

> On 14-06-11 12:39 AM, Khalid Baheyeldin wrote:
>
>> And here is a photo of the antenna, with the 3 ft RG6 cable from it to the
>> pre-amp, Betty Crocker cover for the pre-amp with u-bolt to the mast, and
>> the mast itself composed of two 10 ft overlapping pipes held together by
>> two u-bolts.
>>
>> http://i.imgur.com/WIRPqPU.jpg

Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.