[kwlug-disc] Website hosting

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Tue Jun 10 15:33:42 EDT 2014

Could be worth shooting Khalid or someone a one time setup fee at a
recommended platform.

i.e. From your description, all you want is access to the WordPress
administrative functions to do what you need to do.

All the rest is black magic to you, and you're content that it remain
so. (Don't blame you.)

I suspect most of the hosting consumers are like you, and have
<dashboards - name escapes me> where you click once and a wordpress
install happens for you. Granted, still worth throwing someone a 20 to
confirm that for you. (Saves caveat emptor research / discerning time.)

And there are LAMP vms out there you should be able to just fire up and
see how complex they are/n't, and whether they suit you. Presumably once
up a 'aptitude install wordpress' would do all necessary magic for you.
And I suspect wordpress itself has a 'quick install for dummies' doc.
[This is worth doing regardless - gives you a test/play site, and a
place to restore your live wordpress backups. Let's you play locally,
confirm your backup processes, and give you a path should the host
disappear.]

In the end, it's about what's your time worth, and do you want a cheaper
/ more reliable service upon which to just get on with your day.

Move / install is a one off at least, not a continuous cost.