[kwlug-disc] OT:Cable Splitters/Rogers

Joe Wennechuk youcanreachmehere at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 10 07:32:24 EDT 2014

I have seen some recent information about the causes of lightning. Maybe it is Ra not Thor?
http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/may/15/sun-lightning-strikes-earth-solar-wind

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2014 16:07:47 -0400
From: jvj at golden.net
To: kwlug-disc at kwlug.org
Subject: Re: [kwlug-disc] OT:Cable Splitters/Rogers

I am also not an expert on lightning but did study the same after
repairing telephone systems damaged by the phenomena.

Hence my repeated cautions on this list over the past few years.

Follows is my hypothesis of what I think happened with the truck.

Parts of the atmosphere, e.g. clouds, collected an electrical charge
over time.

This charge is what I would call "lumpy", higher in potential (volts)
in one area as compared to another.

And this charge moves as the low level atmosphere clouds and all move
in the wind.

The charge in the atmosphere attracts a charge in the opposite polarity
in the ground, which includes trees, poles, houses, people (with or
without umbrellas or golf clubs), etc.

The charge in the ground is also "lumpy" , higher in potential (volts)
in one area as compared to another.

If the two charges, i.e. the one in the atmosphere and the one in the
ground, bridge such that there can be potential transfer, this transfer
takes place in a hurry.

The bridge mentioned above could be a tree, a pole, a house, an antenna
or a person holding an umbrella.

Or a truck.

The truck simply drove over a "lump" of charge in the ground bridging
to a similar "lump" above.

The static electricity, if any, picked up by the truck would be
insignificant as compared to that in the "lumpy" charge in the ground
and the matching "lump" of charge above.

jsquared