[kwlug-disc] OT:Cable Splitters/Rogers

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Mon Jun 9 09:34:34 EDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 9, 2014 at 8:45 AM, <chaslinux at gmail.com> wrote:

> From the source feed we have a 3 way splitter (it's possible it could have
> been the one the Rogers tech put in when we had their bundle
> TV/Internet/Phone). We only have TV now and I've noticed terrible
> pixelation on channel 16, the weather network. What are the chances it's
> the splitter? The source cable is too short to reach the TV 2 feet in front
> (it barely comes out of the wall).
>
> I moved our cordless phone away but that didn't seem to help. (Read on
> forums that it could be part of the problem, but seems weird since it's
> shielded cable isn't it?)
>
> Thinking my wife isn't too happy with the TV service anyway so we'll
> probably end up moving off it, but interested in why 1 channel would be
> pixelated while others are fine.

I had a very similar experience after they moved me to the digital server
(straight to the TV that has an ATSC tuner, not through a digital to analog
box).

Some channels would pixelate or lose sound, or be blank.

It took three calls. First call was in winter and the guy dug the cable box
and remove a filter. That improved things a bit but not totally.
Then finally a tech came into the house and found the cable from the wall
to the digital box was loose. He replaced it by making a cable on the spot
with two connectors, and things are fine now on all channels.

He said that the new boxes (Cisco 4642 HD) are very sensitive.

So, try a proper new cable from the wall cable without the splitter first,
all the way to the TV, and see if that works.

You can get cheap cables at Sayal in Cambridge. A 3 ft cable is $3.49. Home
Depot has reasonable prices for the short ones ($4.99 for 3 ft) if that is
a closer drive for you. Avoid Best Buy and The Source. They are double the
price.

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.