[kwlug-disc] Cable internet providers

John Johnson jvj at golden.net
Wed Jun 4 23:56:11 EDT 2014

On 2014-06-04 22:56, unsolicited wrote:
> > How can that work if two modems use the same frequencies?
>
> They don't. With high speed cable internet came the use of channels
> within the frequencies, which are then bonded.
>
> At least currently, there are so many channels available that two
> services aren't going to starve each other for sufficient channels.

Agree. But with little to go on (Because I am out-of-date). So, the rest
is conjecture. Sort of.
Andrew K's earlier comment of a the cable shared medium with many taps
(i.e. modems) was true of an earlier generation.

The 'digital' world has infiltrated the cable networks.
But do not expect a single digital pulse train on the coax cable.
Expect instead a number of RF channels each of which carries a modulated
digital signal of a high bit rate.
This signal is then multiplexed to carry a number of sub-channels.

Again, a number of RF channels each carrying a modulated signal for a
high bit rate digital multiplexed group of channels.
I do not know how many RF channels or the arrangement of what content is
on each.

The new 'converters' are addressable from the head end.
I have a *free one and to set it up I there was a dialog with an
operator and an OFF/ON/OFF/ON cycle to test it while watching the Green LED.
After power outages (morning squirrels) there is a few seconds of snow
while the box talks to the head end.

Experience: 20 years ago I worked for a local manufacturer of head-end
equipment (now defunct).
JohnJ