[kwlug-disc] Cable internet providers

unsolicited unsolicited at swiz.ca
Wed Jun 4 23:12:21 EDT 2014

IIRC, much like DHCP static IP request - anyone using this IP, yes, try
another, keep going 'til you get enough channels.

It is all Rogers from home to their building, so they know what channels
are in use. And it's all their equipment. (Which is why only Roger's
approved modems can be used, by any supplier - their equipment has to
grant access. i.e. Understand the schema in use / approve the MAC
addresses for connection.)

Only difference beyond that is whether Rogers connects your endpoint to
their internet PoP, or a 3rd party's on Rogers (Grand Cresr) premises.

Think if you were on Front St whether you back end connect to ... names
are escaping me - Bell, Sprint, AT&T?, Rogers, Canarie, Uni<something>.
Throw cable one way or another depending on which back end you
contracted with. And likely more than one for redundancy. (Let alone,
don't all their feeds come from Chicago?)

IIRC (year or two back), Acanac was starved to be able to add more
subscribers in this area because the reseller side of the Grand Crest
Place / Kitchener facility was maxed out. And it was Rogers that had to
build out more capacity from Grand Crest to the next hop out. I -think-
at the same time to other provider endpoints in the area too, but that
doesn't really matter, here.

(So, there was no capacity issue between here and Grand Crest - i.e. no
lack of Rogers channels / frequencies.)

Rogers eventually built out more capacity - Acanac was able to then
accept more subscribers.

I didn't put this together with, later, noticing that there were now
more cable internet offerings. e.g. vmedia. 'til a few weeks back.

[Seems to me this Roger's capacity / build out issues spanned a fair
portion of Ontario, and was equally hitting Tek Savvy, Distributel,
Acanac, each in their own respective geographic areas, at the time.
Rogers had to hook up more fibre between their own distribution centres?]

Pity the resellers, whatever Rogers puts them through, Bell is also
putting them through, but likely in their own unique ways. How they're
not driven mad / retain their sanity, I don't know. Guess that's why we
need the CRTC.