[kwlug-disc] Cable internet providers

Khalid Baheyeldin kb at 2bits.com
Wed Jun 4 16:35:07 EDT 2014

On Wed, Jun 4, 2014 at 3:20 PM, unsolicited <unsolicited at swiz.ca> wrote:

> Rogers has fibre?

Yes, they have what they call "hybrid fibre", and they switched me to it
when I said I am leaving them.

Hybrid Fibre 60, which I have never seen 60 mbps down (around 50 only) and
upload is 10 mbps (which I do get on speed tests)

http://www.rogers.com/web/link/hispeedBrowseFlowDefaultPlans

Even though they put me on the 320GB cap, which means $60 + $15, I got all
of it for ~ $82 including tax with the basic TV included for the remainder
of my contract. Customer retention and all that.

It is definitely not fibre to the home, but in the backbone somewhere. You
still get the connection via the coax cable to your home, but you need the
newer modem to get 60/10 or more.

--
Khalid M. Baheyeldin
2bits.com, Inc.